Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Joan And Jonathan






Today I went for a six mile walk. The day was hot, August is the hottest month here, and there was a lack of wind. I decided to push myself and see how long I could bare the heat before turning back. Equipped with a lack of a destination, my camera, and a liter and a half of water I set off. I returned home having met some new people.

I had been told by some one, coincidently, in New York that he (Chad Oliver) had grown up on Bequia. He told me all about his life down here and told me where his grandmother lived and how she had a little store which I had photographed. This shows how small the world is considering Bequia has a population of about 6,000 people, and New York has about 14 million people. So bumping into someone from Bequia in New York is like, I don't know discovering you have a twin brother at the age of 78, it just doesn't happen. Anyway today, on my walk to no where, I met Chad's grandmother.

I remembered where the store was that I had photographed, and as I passed by dripping with sweat I decided to divert my walk and see if she was around. I was immediately greeted by a barking dog, a small mutt with blond fur and clean white teeth. The dog created a lot of noise which in turn roused someone from the house who looked confused as to why a strange man was standing on her front lawn. I explained the circumstances that had brought me into this situation and she immediately understood whom I was referring to and why I found myself on her front lawn. She swatted at the dog who was barking continuously, and he scurried away behind a vehicle. I came inside and met Chad's grandmother, a sweet woman, who seemed to be in her late 70's. She was wearing a night gown and as she rose up from her day bed where she was watching an American sitcom from the 90's she asked who i was exactly.

Again I explained the situation that had brought me here and she was so happy to see me that she gave me a huge hug. Her name is Joan.

No comments: