Thursday, June 25, 2009

Baptist Church






Last Sunday I went to church. This may seem like a normal occurrence in most people lives, not something that would stand out. This may have been my 9th or 10th time ever going to a service in my life, so for me it was unusual. First I went to a service held at a Roman Catholic church which was a long walk from where I live, but none the less it was exciting. The service seemed typical, and familiar to what I had experienced in the past. After the service was over the priest asked me very kindly to return next Sunday, which I will be doing.

I then proceeded to the next service, which was held in a small dwelling set up in a hill, by four women, whom were the only members to attend that morning. This church was the Baptist church. The building was modest, small and unnoticeable. It did not cary with it all the gold, shrines, and alters, that may be associated with a place of worship. It had a white door made from plywood, secured with a padlock. It had two wings that extended from its sides, each unfinished, but as I was told, they would become the kitchen and dinning room, much like a home. The floor was made form poured cement when dry thin sleeves of linoleum were rolled out over the cement, ants scurried between slits in the plastic tile pattern. There was a bell in the center of the room and some oils, candles seemed to peep out from corners and behind pews. It smelled damp similar to that of a basement. And it was hot and humid, since it had yet to rain that day.

The women who held the service were all middle aged with the exception of one who is in her early 30's. They spoke of ways they had been saved, and how they are so grateful that they have put their faith in a loving God. They sang Psalms from the bible, and rang the bell which gave off a deafening sound. They would often shout Amen! or Yes! Sometimes feeling the need to leap from their seats. It was powerful, moving, and at points frightening. I learned a lot about religion, about bible stories, and why people seem to cling so hard to their religious beliefs.

I used to be frightened by religion, feeling that it holds people back from being in tune with other people around them. After that Sunday I found myself respecting the power of belief. I realized that it helps communities come together on a Sunday morning and share their stories. I realized that religion doesn't have to alienate people from other people and that it an simply unite people.

I concluded my day by watching Bill Maher's documentary Religulous which totally rebukes everything I just said. It was a day full of religion and I managed not to go to Hell.

No comments: