Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sistine Chapel






So when Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel, between 1508 and 1512, he knew he was painting history. However, i don't believe he knew, that his frescos would be the most revered pieces of biblical painting in history. I had seen the Sistine chapel 3 times before coming this time. I had taken my dubious sneaky photographs of the ceilings and the walls. So this time that's not what caught my attention. Instead I was drawn to the hundreds of overwhelmed faces of people from all over the world. Everyone was looking at the same series of paintings, looking up like they were 7 year olds at the circus watching a trapeze performance. Some people had come to Rome solely to see this amazing work of art. Every five minutes an announcement would be read in 6 different languages, reprimanding people for talking and taking photographs. As soon as this was over people would begin there disorderly conduct all over again. So here are some reactions, I find these to be priceless. I mean it's someones reaction to something that they have heard about their whole lives, and now are finally able to see. Like a birth of a child or meeting your favorite athlete, artist, or actor.

No comments: